Tuesday, May 31, 2011

~Choices~

Everyday we have many choices to make.  Now, I’m not talking about what foods to eat or what drink to order from Starbucks.  What I’m talking about are the choices that we make each day as to how we go about making everyday decisions in our lives. 

God has given us a free will and He has much to say in guiding us in making the right choices:

I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live; that you may love the LORD your God, that you may obey His voice, and that you may cling to Him, for He is your life and the length of your days; and that you may dwell in the land which the LORD swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, to give them."   (Deu 30:19-20)

And if it seems evil to you to serve the LORD, choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."   (Jos 24:15)
 
Because they hated knowledge And did not choose the fear of the LORD, They would have none of my counsel And despised my every rebuke. Therefore they shall eat the fruit of their own way, And be filled to the full with their own fancies. For the turning away of the simple will slay them, And the complacency of fools will destroy them; But whoever listens to me will dwell safely, And will be secure, without fear of evil."   (Pro 1:29-33)

Do not envy the oppressor, And choose none of his ways; For the perverse person is an abomination to the LORD, But His secret counsel is with the upright.” 
(Pro 3:31-32)

The righteous should choose his friends carefully, For the way of the wicked leads them astray.”  (Pro 12:26)

These are just a few of the verses that guide us in making good choices and warn us of the consequences of bad choices.

Why is this so important?  We have seen over and over again people that we know, compromising in “small” choices.  Without fail, these “small” compromises lead to larger and larger compromises resulting in a lack of spiritual growth, moral failures, divorce,  etc.  The pain that these compromises are causing far outweigh any temporary ease or gratification in their lives.

It is so important to remember:


 “For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,…”  (2Co 10:4-5)

Strive to be like the Bereans:



These were more fair-minded than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so.”  (Act 17:11)



What decisions are you making today?  Whatever they are, PLEASE do not make them lightly.  Seek the Lord and He WILL guide you.


"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."  (Jer 29:11-13)
















No comments: