Saturday, July 16, 2011

Thoughts from My Garden~ (Part 3)



The soil has been prepared, the square for each plant has been marked off and the plants are in the ground.  Now I will tend the garden for the rest of the summer, there will be lots to do.  However, there also is a lot that I CANNOT do.  I cannot bring the rain.  I cannot cause the plants to grow.  I cannot MAKE the plants to ripen.  Only God can do these things.

Good and upright is the LORD; Therefore He teaches sinners in the way. The humble He guides in justice, And the humble He teaches His way.”  (Psa 25:8-9-emphasis mine)

“He who instructs the nations, shall He not correct, He who teaches man knowledge?”  (Psa 94:10-emphasis mine)

“For He instructs him in right judgment, His God teaches him.”   (Isa 28:26-emphasis mine)

This is true in the lives of our children as well.  As parents we can provide a good environment for them to grow.  We can provide them with teaching, lead by example, etc.  However, we cannot MAKE them grow spiritually.   It is only by the power of the Holy Spirit that our children grow spiritually. 

When my children were little, they prayed so sincerely, sought forgiveness so sincerely, repented so sincerely, etc.  It was “natural” for me to think that they would always be this way.  However, as they grew into their teenage years, I saw them questioning more and testing more, always being respectful, but yet having doubts.  What I saw was them trying and testing to see if the God we raised them to know, was He real? was He genuine?  The things that we taught them were “morphing”, if you will, into a relationship; a relationship with the one true God, the creator of the universe.  The One who would teach them to really KNOW Him.

Through this “process” I learned at a much deeper level, to trust God with my children.  This sounds obvious, I know, and I really thought that I was trusting God with my children.  However, when you have spoken the truth of God’s Word into your child and you see them struggling to make it personal in their own lives, you see more clearly the reality that only God can teach them to know Him.   He is also the only One who can draw them to Himself into that deep, meaningful relationship that He desires to have with Him.  

So, I found myself needing to pray more for that child when they were struggling in a specific area.  I would ask God to show them what HIS desire was for them.  I asked HIM to change their heart and help them with their struggle.  Then, as God gave strength and direction, I could come along side and encourage them, helping them to see what God was doing in their life.

I must confess that I had much fear the first time we experienced this with my oldest.  I would see her struggle to make the choice to do the right thing, and I would do everything I could to encourage, instruct and convince her to make the right choice.  However, I was beginning to understand more deeply Jesus’ teachings about the importance of the heart and not just outward obedience.  That’s when I understood that, when it came to matters of the heart, I was powerless.  I could not MAKE my daughter’s heart to have the right attitude and do the right thing.  That’s when the fear came.  What if she made the wrong choice?  What if she gave into the temptation?  I lost many a night’s sleep due to fear.  However, God is SO GOOD!  He gently taught me to trust Him more AND He showed His faithfulness to all of us as He gently drew my daughter’s heart to His, just as He promised!

No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day. It is written in the prophets, 'AND THEY SHALL ALL BE TAUGHT BY GOD.' Therefore everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me.”  (Joh 6:44-45)

“The LORD has appeared of old to me, saying: "Yes, I have loved you with an everlasting love; Therefore with loving kindness I have drawn you.”  (Jer 31:3)

I know this is an area that God will ALWAYS be working on in my life and I am thankful that He doesn’t leave me to myself.  Praise Him more, trust Him more and yield to Him more and you WILL find Him faithful!!

No comments: