Monday, September 19, 2011

~Discouragement~

Discouragement comes in many different forms.  Maybe you are discouraged over a wayward child, health issues, marriage problems, etc.  There are a myriad of reasons for discouragement, but the end result is the same. 

How often I find that my discouragement comes from my own selfishness.  The child didn't do what I wanted them to do; I don't feel as good as I would like; if only my husband would ___________________(fill in the blank here).   All of these scenarios are self-centered and lead to discouragement.  However, God offers us a wonderfully different perspective:

"...looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
For consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, lest you become weary and discouraged in your souls."  (Heb 12:2,3)


This verse in Hebrews brings perspective.  First of all, it is not God's will that we become discouraged.  Jesus endured everything we are called to endure, and much more.  Secondly, Christ was able to endure the suffering because He had an eternal perspective; "for the joy that was set before Him".  Jesus knew the suffering was temporal and that He would soon be with His Father in heaven.  Not only that, He knew what was going to be accomplished by His suffering-the saving of sinners.

This verse convicts me and it helps me to get my mind off of myself and onto my Savior.  What purpose does God have for me in the situation that is causing me to be discouraged?  It may be to help make me more like Christ, or, it may be for the benefit of the person that I am discouraged over, to help them become more like Christ.  

The important thing is to look at our circumstances through the lens of Scripture and ask the Lord to help us to have His perspective on the situation.  Otherwise, we will "default" back to our flesh and get discouraged.

"A Song of Ascents. I will lift up my eyes to the hills-- From whence comes my help? My help comes from the LORD, Who made heaven and earth. He will not allow your foot to be moved; He who keeps you will not slumber. Behold, He who keeps Israel Shall neither slumber nor sleep. The LORD is your keeper; The LORD is your shade at your right hand. The sun shall not strike you by day, Nor the moon by night. The LORD shall preserve you from all evil; He shall preserve your soul. The LORD shall preserve your going out and your coming in From this time forth, and even forevermore." 
(Psa 121:1-8)

1 comment:

Laura said...

As always, more wonderful words of wisdom. Thanks for the post, I need to chew on this one as I've been very discouraged lately!